Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I was walking home from small group an hour ago. I was in a spring peace mode, breathing in the sensation of the night air against my skin: smiling, relaxed. There was an old man standing outside Chipotle, waving at everyone. Just waving, smiling. He kept waving at me, sweetly excited, with this quirky hat on his white head. "You look relaxed!" So, I stopped and talked to him. Just for a minute or two. He said he had jokes in some newspapers and told me one.. It went to the effect of this:
"What did the grass say to the football team?" "If you cut us we'll root for you!"
I really don't remember it. That was just the gist.
And then he started waving again, so I laughed and said thank-you.

It was so simplistic and sweet. I walked away with a glorious smile on my face, thinking about him. But then I started wondering how many people had ignored him, or walked away without treating him like a human being, or even treated him like he wasn't worth anything. Then it was one of those awkward smiling, but I'm kind of crying at the same time things.

Just wanted to write about it.
Peace,
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. I love your precious heart and that you see the worth of everyone.

    ReplyDelete